Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Beware of Wasted Time

Wasted time. How many of us are guilty of this? It is so difficult to make sure we are pleasing God and living out His will every single moment of our lives, but it is what He commands. Who said living for Christ would be easy?


Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16


Our walk through life should be unique. It is not supposed to reflect that of the world. The world wastes time with worry and unproductive activity. They worry whether their jobs will provide, if there will be enough time in the day, and if they will get this and this done (check out my post on anxiety). When they are not worrying, they spend their time trying to find happiness through various means. Ultimately, nothing they pour into ends up fulfilling them because they do not have the Lord, who gives us Life and purpose. They have wasted their time.

Set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth. Colossians 3:2


This verse is a good gage to know when time is being lost on unfruitful things. In our culture specifically, different forms of entertainment fill our time and distract our minds from eternal things. These forms include television, sports, malls, video games, novels, amusement parks, online gaming, theaters, the internet, and the list goes on and on. I would like to point out that none of these in themselves are bad. They can actually be very good things. However, we must be aware of allowing addictions and idols. When we use entertainment for purely selfish motives or even convince ourselves we need something to the point which we sacrifice time we could be loving others or spending with God, a problem arises. Everything can be misused and become a distraction to our calling as disciples. We should not waste time on these things, but rather use them for His glory by changing our mindset. Set your mind on things above rather than things on earth.

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17


Christ commands that we do everything in His name. This means we must make sure to continue His ministry and His way of life. Everything we do should show Christ's love and character. If Christ was to come back today, would we feel like we have lived life to the fullest and glorified Him through it all?

Let us try to think of what we spend time doing. How does it glorify God? Or does it even involve obedience to Him at all? If it does not, we should consider discontinuing our time with it for a season.

Recently, I began watching a television show called Heroes. Since it came out, I have been interested and wanting to watch it. I really enjoy superheroes and the plot of this show is pretty entertaining. However, after a few episodes into the season, I realized it was not the most family-friendly. Instead of not watching it, I tried to convince myself I would run into someone with this common interest and it could give us something to talk about. I could make a friend and show them the love of Christ! But as I continued the show with this justification in mind, I began to be convicted of how it was hurting me more than helping. Though the show is not entirely bad, it does not suit me personally. Parts of it were pretty dark and there were scenes of sensuality which made me uncomfortable. How is my mind being set on things above if I was filling it with fear and sensuality?  Even if I did make a friend, what witness is my time watching the show to them if it does not glorify our Lord? After I paid attention, I realized I had let these things into my heart and even though they were only affecting my life in tiny ways, the time I spent watching the show was time I could have been spending doing many other things which glorify God much more, such as writing this post.

So in every aspect, also determine your motivation. Are we spending time doing something for Him or for ourselves? We must ask ourselves if it is worth precious time, which is a gift from the Father.