Wednesday, August 14, 2013

God is for the Weak

Have you ever witnessed someone attacking the Christian faith as a crutch for the weak? They say that God was made up for people who struggle with the pain in life, those who are afraid of death, and those who are feeble-minded. Those who believe in God are a puny, undetermined, and cowardly people. They could be struggling with disease, tragic deaths of loved ones, finances, insecurities, or any other hardship inescapable in this world and so feel the need to believe in a higher power which can assure them of a hope and a future.

I think I used to take offense at people who believed this. I would try to reason in my own mind why everything they said was incorrect. God does exist! I know He does. He was not made up because the human race is 'weak.' I do not feel like I need a God. I just know He is there because His creation points directly to a beautiful God. God exists and that is not because of my own weakness.

But I was very wrong.

Humans are weak. And we definitely need the Almighty to save us from our weakness.

What these skeptics say about the Christian faith is completely true. God is for the weak. What they fail to understand is that they themselves are weak because they are human.

No one is strong enough to endure this life alone. No one can feel peace about a loved one dying without knowing what is beyond death. No one can overcome disease, financial inadequacies, insecurities, or any trial without faith. But most paramount, no one can trump their fleshy, selfish, sinful desires with good, pure ones without God. We are all weak because we cannot save ourselves from ourselves.

The cynical, who believe God is for the weak, are preaching to themselves Truth. What they say makes sense, so why are they not on their knees crying out to God? Arrogance. Those who believe God is for the weak already presuppose that they themselves are not weak. Because of our fallen nature, we think too highly of ourselves (how ironic). Even I did not want to believe myself to be weak by trying to argue against the doubters. Then I stepped back and realized that my weakness is the foundation of the Gospel.

I do need an all-powerful God to depend on. I have already seen how self-destructive, fragile, puny, and pathetic I am. I need hope that this life is not the end. I need a Savior to purify my heart and make me clean.