Friday, April 12, 2013

The Good Fight

2 Timothy 4:5-8

But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of the evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

I love Paul. His testimony is one of the greatest and his words are beautiful. In the chapter, he is encouraging Timothy to keep persevering in his ministry as a pastor even in the midst of evil people who want their ears tickled with false doctrine.

Paul has such great faith. While writing to Timothy, he is in jail about to be executed. He is walking so closely to the Lord that he is not fearful of this, but knows his ministry is fulfilled and that he will soon be taken to be with his King. For Paul, to live is Christ and to die is gain (I wrote more about that here). Paul's life should be a witness to Timothy to keep enduring because Paul has done so much for the Kingdom and he will be rewarded for his work.

We should also be encouraged. Life is not easy, nor is it supposed to be. In fact, Paul describes our walk through life as a fight. This tells me it will be messy, it will hurt, and it will not always be fun. But, Paul says it is a good fight. This seems like a paradox, but it is not. It lets us know the fight is worth it. We will receive a crown of righteousness from our Lord if we keep the faith and finish the course.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith"


When I feel that constantly seeking Christ or loving others is not worth it, I try to think of this verse. It reminds me that these things are not supposed to be easy. Nothing good is easily attained because things that are worth it have to be fought for. Fulfillment in the One who made us is a fight. We have to constantly overcome our selfish flesh by depending on His Spirit within us.

Giving into sin is nice for the moment, but foolish in the long run. It will only cause strife and grief when we are left empty and feeling alone. The fight for Christ is good so let us run to Him with full force!