Wednesday, April 22, 2015

My (?) Rights

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:5-8

Recently, God has showed me I need to give up my rights more. For example, over the past month or so, I have been extremely agitated when I woke up thinking I did not get my needed sleep. I was irritable when things woke me up. I always felt behind on sleep. I let my lack of sleep justify my moodiness and irritability and inability to do work or love people. Looking back, it was kind of ridiculous.

But after hearing a sermon on these verses about Jesus, it basically convicted me to the core. Not only had I believed sleep was a right, but I also believed getting food and love from others were also basic rights. As I went through my daily routines, I noticed I believed that a lot of comforts in my life were things I believed to be my personal rights. I would not have admitted it at the time, but I truly believed that without these rights, I was not able to live for the kingdom. I could not share food or help someone in my math class if I was too tired or hungry.

As I thought more and more about this whole idea of personal rights, it kind of hit me this morning:

I should be in control of my body, not the opposite.


As soon as I let my body and its lusts and emotions control me, I give Satan a foothold. Wow. That is serious and scary truth. After thinking and meditating on what God is telling me, I looked up verses to see what He has already said in His Word. I am amazed.

But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to other I myself should be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts. Romans 13:14

And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations (or discomforts), knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance, and perseverance, proven character, and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Romans 5:3-5

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. Romans 12:1

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved. 1 Corinthians 10:31-32

And the list goes on....I think God knew this was an important thing for us to learn. It is very hindering to His kingdom if we can't lay down our rights and our lives for Him.

He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. Matthew 10:39