Saturday, May 4, 2013

His Grace is Good

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed...My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.

2 Corinthians 9:8, 12:9


God's grace is perpetual. It goes on and on. I cannot even describe the amount of grace I have received from my Father. I deserve nothing, yet He has given me so much. Our God is just and our sin deserves death. But, His love is so great that He chose to take the curse upon Himself. Recently, I have really appreciated the gospel and learned to take it personally. I began to think of the gospel not as 'Jesus died for sinners,' but rather as 'Jesus died for me, a sinner.' He thought I was worth the cost. He decided to take away something I totally deserved because He loves me. Wow.

Salvation is by far the biggest and most important gift of grace we can receive. But what about all the smaller things? After we become His, do we begin to feel entitled? Nothing is deserved but death. Everything we receive beyond this is a free gift out of love. Friends, family, spouses, wealth, health, and the list goes on. These are only by His grace.

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7


It is so amazing to me that our Lord desires to give us what we want even when none of it is deserved in the slightest. We serve a good God. Recently, I asked for grace. I was specific in the situation because I knew with all of my being that I did not deserve what I was asking for. Truly understanding how undeserving we are is humbling. It broke me down and showed me that we are nothing without our Father. We must lean on Him in everything because at any point, He can take away what has been given to us by grace if it is abused. I have experienced this and it is not fun.

Grace should also cause us to be truly thankful. If we are not grateful, we should check to make sure we do not feel entitled. Receiving grace should daily bring us to our knees to the One who constantly desires to show His love to us by giving us good things.

P.S. May the fourth be with you ;)