Sunday, June 14, 2015

Gratitude in Mozambique

As my second week in Mozambique comes to a close, I am overwhelmed by the great joy the people exhibit despite their circumstances. From observation, I believe this joy comes from their gratitude. If nothing else, Mozambicans come to church praising Jesus for the mere breath in their lungs.

I am grateful for this beautiful view of the Indian Ocean

Recently our team has discussed how powerful a grateful heart can be. God tells us over and over in His word to be thankful and He definitely has good reason for this.

For one, gratefulness keeps us content and therefore, happy. Mozambicans understand how to look at the glass half full instead of half empty. In American, we are so often tempted to want more and more in our materialistic culture. When we cannot find contentment in what we have and in our circumstances, we are deprived happiness and joy. Recently I have been playing with a few kids that live next door. As we used passion fruit to play catch, sand and a stick for hopscotch, and various pieces of trash for entertainment, I was amazed by their great joy. They understood that being happy and having fun is an attitude rather than circumstantial.

Gratefulness also helps us remember that our God is good. When we see only evil, poor circumstances, a lack of what we could have or what life could be, we become discouraged and even depressed. God has shown me that thankfulness is key because when I look for good and for all the blessings God has given me, I see that they outweigh all the evil Satan accomplishes. Though people I love die or my relationships seem to crumble, I have life. I have spiritual restoration and I can count on being fed daily. I have health and I get to witness the beautiful sky every day. I have a family and a place to call home.

Humility also stems from gratefulness. As we give credit to God for all He has done in us and in our lives, we are reminded how little we are capable of without Him. Our lives would be empty and meaningless if not for the love of our Father who gives us precious gifts. He gave us life to begin with. Who are we to question His goodness when He is the One who gave us the ability to question in the first place? Thankfulness helps us remember who is really in charge and who actually has the power.

In our culture, cynicism and complaining rule. As Christians, one of the best ways we can be lights and stick out from the culture is to stop complaining. How cool would it be if we were known by how grateful we were? Instead of pointing out what is wrong all the time, we should be focusing on what God has blessed us with. When we give Him credit, He is glorified and we are blessed.